Presentation College as we know it today started off as a vision of the late Canon Max Murphy, a man moved by compassion and understanding for the underprivileged youth of Caroni. Concerned for their welfare, he saw the need for some form of secondary education to be made available to them and with the permission and encouragement from the late Archbishop Count Finbar Ryan; a foundation was laid to pave the way to Presentation College, Chaguanas.
At that time, it was known as the Parish school but this was later changed to Pamphilian High School and a later still, to the college of St. Phillip and St. James.
As time progressed it became clear that the school had exceeded its target of producing merely â€˜educatedâ€™ citizens of Chaguanas and county Caroni. The government, having realised the wealth of potential, initiated assistance to the college in 1949. During that time the college was under the direction of the Catholic Board of Management of Trinidad with Mr. John Burns as principal.
The inevitable growth of the school population caused a strain on the resources and a subsequent demand for better accommodations. This problem was solved when land was provided by Endeavour Estates, Chaguanas at minimal cost and two-thirds of the capital necessary for the construction offered by the government. The formal commissioning of the new college, PCC as it is know today was held in March 1959 by the then Education and Culture Minister, Dr. Patrick Solomon.
Approximately one month after establishment, the Presentation Brothers took over operations, having being requested to do so by His Grace. In April 1959, Brother Livinus Kelly assumed leadership and began what would be a long and memorable rule by the Presentation Brothers.
The spirit of the Presentation Brothers continues to live on in the hearts and minds of proud Presentation College students and staff.